Job Description / Skills Required
About the Position
Based in West Lothian, Kaiam is an emerging market leader in the research, development and manufacturing of optoelectronic equipment used within data-communication centres and the telecommunications industry. Founded by leading technologists from the optical networking industry, the team has a track record of delivering breakthrough approaches that change the rules of the marketplace.
To support our continued growth, we are recruiting for a Health & Safety Manager, reporting to the General Manager. In this role you will ensure that our employees and also contractors working for or on behalf of Kaiam comply with safety legislation and that safety related policies and practices are adopted and adhered to.
We are looking for experienced and innovative individuals who are committed to taking the lead on all operational health and safety matters to ensure a safe working environment for our employees. This however is a standalone role, with minimal administrative support; therefore you must be able and willing to be fully hands on in delivering the necessary actions and outputs of the H&S function.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop, implement and manage all systems relating to Health & Safety in the Kaiam workplace.
• Ensure effective communication of Health & Safety issues to the workforce
• Conduct and maintain Safety, Chemical and Noise Risk Assessments and measure their effectiveness
• Review safety data sheets and ensure COSHH requirements are reflected in the chemical risk assessments
• Monitor and assist department managers to investigate incidents in their area of responsibility
• Review contractor RAMS, carry out contractor inductions and issue general permit and monitor their work
• Be responsible for, and where appropriate conduct, amongst other things DSE assessments, RPE Face-fit checks, Fire Marshall training and maintain records of such outputs
• Perform site inductions for new employees and refresher inductions for existing employees
• Coach and mentor the Emergency Response Team and measure their effectiveness
• Chair and oversee the output of the monthly Health & Safety meeting with site safety reps
• Generate monthly report to reflect H&S performance, highlighting areas of improvement
• Be assertive, fair and consistent when implementing Company or legislative requirements or when reprimanding contractors or individuals
• Liaise with the Health & Safety Executive, Environment Agency & other government appointed bodies
• Understand the risks associated with a complex, fast paced manufacturing environment
• Hold a NEBOSH General certificate in occupational health and safety or equivalent
• Must have the ability and confidence to communicate with a wide range of people including management at all levels, employees and external agencies.
• Must be approachable to ensure that the quietest voice within the organization will be heard.
• Demonstrates a pro-active approach to Health and Safety
Ideally you will also have the following:
• Degree in a chemical / chemical engineering, electrical / electronic engineering, or mechanical / equipment engineering discipline
In exchange, we offer a competitive salary (based on experience), life cover, pension, cycle to work scheme and generous holidays.
Kaiam always strives for excellence so if you can bring us relevant qualifications and experience to help us achieve this then we would like to hear from you. We are looking for employees with talent and potential, so if you’re upbeat and motivated why not join us and be part of something exceptional?