Job Description / Skills Required
Groupon is looking for the next wave of great front-end and back-end software engineers. We work in small, independent and agile teams, and collaborate with product designers to implement stuff quickly. As part of our technology team, you’ll use a variety of technologies and development practices to build pioneering local commerce applications used by hundreds of millions of people.
There are not a lot of boundaries here, so expect to make a big impact. The code we check in today is running in production around the world within a week — sometimes that day. So we need people that will take pride in the quality of their code and take it personally when there’s a bug that affects our customer experience.
The kind of stuff you’ll be doing:
• Implementing and deploying new global features on the Groupon web or mobile (iOS, Android, touch) platforms
• Interacting with product managers and designers to make sure all user interactions are well thought out, aesthetically pleasing and implemented correctly
• Testing features across all major browsers – desktop, tablet, and mobile
• Identifying and fixing bug and performance issues
• Designing high-performance RESTful web services serving billions of requests a week
• Personalizing content and promotions based on user interests
• Unraveling the myriad of payment technologies available globally
• Optimizing placement of inventory across fulfillment centers
• Building large-scale infrastructural data systems using open-source technologies
The kind of experience we're looking for:
• BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Strong programming fundamentals – data structures, algorithms, OOD
• Experience in at least one server-side language (e.g. Java, Ruby, Python) and one dynamic scripting language (e.g. Ruby, PHP, Python, Perl)
• Experience across all levels of the technology stack from browser to DB
• Familiarity with SQL database programming and performance
• Excellent understanding of how web and mobile technologies work
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.