Job Description / Skills Required
About the Position
Based in West Lothian, Kaiam is an emerging market leader in the research, development and manufacturing of optoelectronic equipment used within data-communication centres and the telecommunications industry. Founded by leading technologists from the optical networking industry, the team has a track record of delivering breakthrough approaches that change the rules of the marketplace.
To support our continued growth, we are recruiting for a Test Engineer, reporting to the Product Development Manager. In this role, based in Livingston, you will be responsible for delivering an effective test function to support the volume manufacture of leading edge optical and opto-electronic products.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Ensure effective test capability for optoelectronic transceivers, planar lightwave circuits (PLCs), and corresponding sub-assemblies (e.g. lasers on carrier).
• Ensure high uptime, robustness and efficiency of test in a 24/7 production environment; be the go-to engineer for the operations team.
• Provide and maintain detailed documentation of test systems, including Work Instructions, Maintenance Procedures, OCAPs, BOMs, etc.
• Ensure the test function operates to internal standards and take responsibility for passing internal and external quality audits. Showcase the test area to customers, investors, and other stakeholders.
• Understand test from the micro level to the macro level, with the ability to work at all levels.
• Continual improvement: seek to constantly improve the overall test capability, incrementally or more radically as appropriate.
• Work closely with the R&D team to develop new and improved test solutions; take responsibility for introducing improvements to the manufacturing area and ensuring fitness for purpose.
• Work closely with production to ensure that the manufacturing needs are satisfied. Train engineers, technicians and trainers to enable effective test.
• Take responsibility for product yield: ongoing monitoring, product debug, trials on new products and specifications, etc.
• BSc Electrical Engineering / Physical sciences or related field
• Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment
• Development of custom test solutions: novel hardware, software, and system development and deployment
• Instrumentation control protocols: TCP/IP, GPIB, I2C
• Experience with product test automation
• Database familiarity: SQL, XML, MongoDB
• Adequate knowledge of reading circuit schematics
• Familiarity with software version & defect tracking tools
• Experience of Analog & Digital design
• Production manufacturing experience
• Self-starter, with ability to learn new skills and provide solutions quickly
• Ability to work individually with limited oversight, or effectively in a mixed team
• Fibre optics experience
• Data communications industry experience
• Transceiver test experience
• People management experience
• Maturity, to become the gold standard for the rest of the test team
In exchange, we offer a competitive salary (based on experience), life cover, pension, cycle to work scheme and generous holidays.
Kaiam always strives for excellence so if you can bring us relevant qualifications and experience to help us achieve this then we would like to hear from you. We are looking for employees with talent and potential, so if you’re upbeat and motivated why not join us and be part of something exceptional?
Location: Livingston, Scotland