Job Description / Skills Required
About the Position
Based in West Lothian, Kaiam is an emerging market leader in the research, development and manufacturing of optoelectronic equipment used within data-communication centres and the telecommunications industry. Founded by leading technologists from the optical networking industry, the team has a track record of delivering breakthrough approaches that change the rules of the marketplace.
To support our continued growth, we are recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Packaging Engineer, reporting to the Product Development Manager. In this role, based in Livingston, you will be responsible for delivering effective optomechanical packaging solutions to support the volume manufacture of leading edge optical and opto-electronic products.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Mechanical design of high speed (200G, 400G, Tb) optoelectronic modules; design of planar lightwave products
• Work closely with the wider team over multiple sites to deliver products from prototyping to volume manufacturing
• Simulation: thermal, stress, etc.
• Component and assembly tolerancing; mechanical debug
• Sourcing and verification of prototype and high volume components and assemblies
• Design of fixtures / tooling / rigs in support of module development and manufacture
• Product data maintenance, including models and component / assembly drawing
• Mentoring more junior members of staff. Set the standard for professionalism and high quality execution
• BSc/MSc and/or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Physics or related field
• Experience of one or more of the following tools: SolidWorks, PDM Enterprise Vault, Icepak, COMSOL, Oracle Agile
• Comfortable with a range of manufacturing technologies: die casting, injection moulding, wafer fabrication, dicing and polishing, PCBA fabrication, 3d printing, laser marking and cutting, thin and thick film deposition, etc.
• Comfortable with a range of assembly technologies: adhesive bonding, solder bonding, flip chip technology, die bonding, wire bonding, seam sealing, laser welding, etc.
• Design for manufacture / design for assembly
• Practical hands-on experience, e.g. machine shop modifications
• Data communications industry experience
• Optoelectronics design experience
• Experience developing optical transceivers
• Working in an international company over multiple sites
• Verification of simulation results
• Comfortable recommending expenditure in £50k+ range
• Release of these components to volume production environment
• Experienced team leader
• Familiarity with lasers, photodiodes, fibres
• Experience with ceramics
• Understanding of semiconductor concepts
• Production manufacturing experience
In exchange, we offer a competitive salary (based on experience), life cover, pension, cycle to work scheme and generous holidays.
Kaiam always strives for excellence so if you can bring us relevant qualifications and experience to help us achieve this then we would like to hear from you. We are looking for employees with talent and potential, so if you’re upbeat and motivated why not join us and be part of something exceptional?
Location: Livingston, Scotland