Job Description / Skills Required
About the Position
Based in West Lothian, Kaiam is an emerging market leader in the research, development and manufacturing of optoelectronic equipment used within data-communication centres and the telecommunications industry. Founded by leading technologists from the optical networking industry, the team has a track record of delivering breakthrough approaches that change the rules of the marketplace.
To support our continued growth, we are recruiting for a RF/Electrical Engineer, reporting to the Product Development Manager. In this role, based in Livingston, you will be responsible for designing the electrical side of high speed optoelectronic transceivers. This will consist of design, development and prototyping leading edge products, and ultimately seeing them through to successful mass manufacture as part of the wider team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• 3D simulation of high frequency optoelectronic packages
• Simulation of gigabit link performance
• Design of high speed, multilayer PCBs
• Characterisation of optoelectronic devices
• Provide production advice & support
• Assist with design of automated RF characterisation rigs
• BSc/MSc and/or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related field
• Experience of one or more of the following RF design tools: Ansys HFSS, Ansys Electronics Desktop, ADS, Microwave Office
• Experience of designing with transmission lines including microstrip, stripline, coplanar and Differential traces
• Experience of designing multilayer high speed PCBs: schematic capture & layout
• Experience of Analog & Digital design
• Understanding of Signal Integrity & EMC concepts
• Familiarity with RF analysis tools: Vector Network Analyser, Digital Communications Analyser, Time Domain Reflectometer
• Interpretation of S-parameter & TDR data
• Understanding of system metrics such as BER
• Understanding of Modulation schemes
• Familiarity with lasers, photodiodes, fibres
• Experience with ceramics
• Understanding of semiconductor concepts
• Production manufacturing experience
• Microcontroller firmware
• Instrumentation control software
In exchange, we offer a competitive salary (based on experience), life cover, pension, cycle to work scheme and generous holidays.
Kaiam always strives for excellence so if you can bring us relevant qualifications and experience to help us achieve this then we would like to hear from you. We are looking for employees with talent and potential, so if you’re upbeat and motivated why not join us and be part of something exceptional?
Location: Livingston, Scotland