Swift Navigation is hiring! Let us introduce ourselves. Swift is changing the way we navigate and understand the world. Swift’s precise positioning technology platform improves location accuracy from several meters to centimeter-level and is used by millions of devices across the globe. Swift’s technology is trusted by users across industries, enabling safer driving, improving efficiency for last-mile delivery and commercial transport operations, increasing accuracy for mobile devices and creating new possibilities for rail, robotics and machine control. That’s what we offer our customers and partners, but it’s the work we do together as a team that is the best part of our days. We collaborate—across the globe—to tackle problems, to pursue our mission and to make a real impact in the world. We are diverse, flexible, supportive and we believe our team is our most important asset and offer a host of benefits and programs to ensure that they know it.
Now a little more about what you could be doing as part of our team and contributing to Swift’s mission and vision. As a Director of Software Engineering your role will be responsible for leading and managing our cloud software services engineering and the establishment of software development on and for the cloud. This position will partner closely with our core engineering teams, product management and business teams to develop capabilities for our external and internal facing services across various market opportunities. As a key member of the leadership team, this position will promote and drive innovation and excellence for the Cloud Software Services team through cross-functional collaboration across core engineering teams, global cloud infrastructure, Systems Engineering and system test groups
- Provide leadership and direction for Cloud Software Services development team including architecture guidance
- Focus on consistent delivery of high quality services and integration points that move the company towards achieving short and long term objectives
- Ensure that appropriate process are followed to align with all relevant standards and certifications
- Ability to develop good estimates and scoping for work products; Track and manage resources efficiency and effectiveness; Proactively forecast and plans for future resource needs and team balance
- Provide oversight and direction to employees to align work with functional / company strategy
- Coach, mentor and develop staff on a daily basis, including overseeing new hire onboarding, regular feedback, career development and opportunities
- Help drive alignment around the strategic engineering vision
- Responsible for developing, communicating and executing on a vision for their team
- Accountable for the technical output of their group, and ensuring that it is coordinating well across the organization
- Takes ownership of the functions culture and for creating the culture that enables people to be successful.
- Clearly clarifies ownership and decision making in the team and can delegate
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among Swift employees that allows for disagreement over ideas, conflict and expeditious conflict resolution. Support a work culture that appreciates cohesiveness, supportiveness, and working effectively together.
- Maintain transparent communication. Communicate Swift Navigation updates through department meetings, 1:1 meetings, and other forms of communication.
- Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to monitor function operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering or related technology field
- Experience in early-stage / growth companies software development experience
- Experience in working in an environment following Agile methodology
- Experience with cutting edge technologies on distributed computing and an understanding of highly scalable systems; experienced in developing modern microservices architecture running on any major cloud platform underpinned by Kubernetes
- Proven track record in building highly available and scalable web services on cloud platform
- Experience with Services and Infrastructure configuration management
- Experience with Cloud, Solution and Application Architecture, ideally with experience in Go / C++
- Lead and drive progress through increased uncertainty and ambiguity
- Can communicate strategic vision and approach both within their group and to the wider organization
- Ability to align teams towards a common objective and drive buy-in to process and approaches.
- Experience with people management, taking a people first approach, through hiring and enabling internally; Commitment to people development, engagement, and being a champion for our culture and Swift values
- Excellent problem solving capabilities and judgment with a detailed but flexible approach. Ability to make sound, scalable, decisions and create clear processes
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching.
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to operating as part of a high performing team and the ability to execute on this in practice
- 3-5 years of experience directly managing engineers or highly technical teams in a managerial role or as a team lead
- Ability to work effectively in a complex, diverse and fast-paced environment
- Experience in leading distributed teams
- Experience with CNCF platforms / services / solutions
- Experience with messaging and transport protocols
- A flexible work environment includes work-from-home days each week.
- Flexible vacation, competitive salary.
- Tech talks, mentorship programs, employee events.
- Growth and learning opportunities from a tech environment include working closely with an international team of scientists, engineers, platform architects, programmers, executive staff and professionals.
Swift Navigation is a diverse and inclusive team. We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status or other defining characteristics.
Swift Navigation will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of SFPC Art.49
Come join us!