Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
We are not your traditional tech company and we do not aim to be. Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That is why we value diversity background and lived experience. Together, we empower restaurants of all sizes to build great teams, increase revenue, improve operations, and delight their guests. We pair our deep understanding of the restaurant industry with powerful cloud-based software and restaurant-grade hardware to deliver an intuitive all-in-one platform. Join us on our mission to empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast’s Hardware team designs and develops world-class hardware devices in conjunction with our JDM & ODM partners. We are a very lean team that focuses on the key elements of Android devices and accessories, and architect our devices to offer the best hardware solutions for our customers. From our close relationships with our customers, we have learned the important design features that make our devices truly restaurant-grade. We focus on the long-term reliability of our devices to ensure our customers do not have to be concerned with their Toast hardware always being ready for another busy day.
The Fall Co-op on the Hardware Team, you will collaborate with stakeholders and teams in the designing, developing, NPI and sustaining engineering to support our products. Toast is driven to make the best restaurant POS systems for our customers. On a given day, you might be testing products as a part of design validation, fabricating prototype devices, creating and analyzing quality data, and creating reports on failure analysis.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Work directly with engineering teams developing new Point of Sales (POS) and payment products.
- Work cross-functionally to design, develop, and test new products.
- Work as part of the electrical engineering team to design, prototype, and perform validation on new electronic designs.
- Breadboarding, given a schematic and list of components.
- Testing Toast’s new 22” Kitchen Terminal.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Embedded (MCU) experience or Arduino or something similar.
- Experience utilizing Google Suite and MS Office.
- Willingness to learn from stakeholders with an ability to have them be heard.
- Comfortable assembling prototypes.
- Basic test equipment skills (i.e. oscilloscope, DMM)
- Current junior pursuing an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering.
- Ability to work on-site in Toast facilities in Chicago, IL.
- PCB layout and schematic
- WLAN and Bluetooth connectivity experience
- Solder, assembly and rework experience
- Experience with Cadence and Allegro
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.