Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Are you bready* for a change?
The Data Platform is a key component of Toast’s infrastructure, responsible for the normalization of operational records for over 57,000 restaurants and integration of records across diverse microservices. The Data Platform team is building a massively-scalable data plane on AWS using Spark, Avro and Parquet to meet this challenge.
As the team continues to grow, we are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team of developers. You will lead the team’s work on building and maintaining our scalable, high performance infrastructure. This hands-on role will enable you to make a significant business impact by driving the work of a small and capable team while making your own technical contribution. You will be responsible for the overall success of the team in delivering customer-centric business outcomes.
In this roll*, you will:
- Create relevant, timely and realistic development plans for the Data Platform team based on product management roadmaps and architecture strategy. Collaborate with engineers, PMs and key stakeholders in multiple lines of business within Toast.
- Track execution of development plans using Agile methodologies and work with the team on continuous improvement of our development practices and most importantly, increasing the business impact
- Collaborate cross functionally on business critical projects to ensure end-to-end adoption of the data platform
- Directly contribute to creating new Data Platform functionality by applying best practices and enabling the team, by ensuring that architecture, designs and test plans are complete
- Guide professional development and career advancement of the engineers on the team
Do you have the right ingredients?
- 2+ years of experience leading & developing a developers
- Experience working within the data analysis ecosystem on top of platforms such as Hadoop, Spark, or Snowflake.
- Familiarity with microservice based architecture operating at scale, preferably in a cloud environment such as AWS.
- Experience with Java, Groovy, Kotlin or JVM-based language is a plus.
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java and Kotlin, to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services are a mix of synchronous DropWizard microservices in Java or Kotlin, and asynchronous services using Apache Pulsar and Apache Camel. We use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service management and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is primarily SPAs using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end;
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.