Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Bready* to make a change?
As a Data Science Manager, you will partner across the R&D org and represent the team as the data science thought leader and set directions for the data science team to deliver innovative machine learning solutions using our huge reservoir of point of sale transaction data. You will work with data scientists, engineers, product managers and fellow engineering managers to turn machine learning models into business impact across product lines, including lending, menu recommendations, and fraud.
About this Roll*:
- Lead, influence and contribute across Data Science team to drive business value for Toast and our restaurant customers
- Collaborate closely with product and engineering stakeholders to drive strategic direction for Toast’s AI-enabled product
- Work closely with leaders from ML Engineering and Platform team to help shape and execute the vision of ML Platform at Toast
- Break down larger ML initiatives into smaller problems that enables data science to deliver incremental business value and lead the team to execute on them
- Coach and mentor data scientists to be successful in their career growth
- Incorporate up-to-date DS approach as best practices for the team
- Help in continuing to build out and expand the Data Science product portfolio
- Work effectively in a dynamic, changing environment while focusing on key goals and objectives
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- Advanced degree in Data Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Computer Science, Engineering or other equivalent disciplines with 5+ years of experience leading Data Science teams
- Prior success deploying machine learning solutions in large-scale production environments
- Strong knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics and machine learning
- Demonstrated excellence in a relevant AI/ML discipline (CV, NLP, etc.), including experience with ML model building with libraries such as Scikit, Tensorflow and PyTorch
- Knowledge of fundamentals of machine learning, such as algorithm families (regression, classification, unsupervised), AB testing, hypothesis testing, and optimization
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams and product stakeholders to evaluate new Machine Learning opportunities
- Strong communication skills, demonstrated through documentation and presentations. Able to present findings to senior management to inform business decisions.
- Experience in mentoring and growing a data science team.
Special Sauce: (non-essential skills, nice to have)
- Problem solver who loves to dig into different kinds of data and can communicate their findings to cross-functional stakeholders
- Passion for research and curiosity that calls you to go beyond “good enough” to create something innovative and exciting
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.