Swift Navigation is hiring. Let us introduce ourselves. Swift is changing the way we navigate and understand the world. Swift’s precise positioning technology platform improves location accuracy from several meters to centimeter-level and is used by millions of devices across the globe. Swift’s technology is trusted by users across industries, enabling safer driving, improving efficiency for last-mile delivery and commercial transport operations, increasing accuracy for mobile devices and creating new possibilities for rail, robotics and machine control. That’s what we offer our customers and partners, but it’s the work we do together as a team that is the best part of our days. We collaborate—across the globe—to tackle problems, to pursue our mission and to make a real impact in the world. We are diverse, flexible, supportive and we believe our team is our most important asset and offer a host of benefits and programs to ensure that they know it.
Now a little more about what you could be doing as part of our team and contributing to Swift’s mission and vision. As an Estimation Engineer on the Positioning team you will be responsible for translating noisy signals sent from space into precise location estimates which will be used for the future of automation.
The problem, in brief, starts with weak radio signals sent from satellites orbiting earth at 14,000 km/h. As the signals approach earth they're bent by relativistic effects, delayed by ionized particles, and refracted by near surface weather resulting in noisy, biased distance estimates which can be used to produce the location of a receiver. The Positioning team is responsible for teasing the signal from the noise, we use physical models for the things we know and statistical models to capture the rest with the goal of producing position estimates two orders of magnitude more precise than traditional GPS.
The ideal candidate uses words like “correlation” and “posterior” in daily conversation. They know the names Kalman, Cholesky and Bayes. When they hear someone say Monte Carlo, they don't think of the city. They have enough experience in academia to know how to perform research, but enough experience in industry to know to start simple and iterate.
- Design and implement algorithms for Swift’s Fusion engine
- Understanding of the basics of estimation theory and Kalman filters
- Writing clean and maintainable code in modern C++ and C
- Scientific computing and data analysis using Python
- Advanced degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics or similar.
- Shipping software to production in one of the following areas:
- Integrity algorithms
- Inertial navigation
- High precision GNSS
- Visual Odometry, Radar, Lidar or other perception technologies
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with modern software development tools and techniques – you should have used version control systems like git before and know what we’re talking about when we use words like CI/CD, code reviews, or TDD
- Experience in defining software architecture design that results in comprehensive, yet flexible and maintainable code
- Experience working in safety-critical environments such as in the automotive or aerospace industries
At Swift, we're on the cutting edge of emerging technologies and techniques looking to adopt the best in class solutions to solving new and existing problems. Incorporating languages and tools (Rust, Haskell and NixOS) into our development workflow, we are seeking like minded engineers to help iterate our technology stack.
- A flexible work environment includes work-from-home days each week.
- Flexible vacation, competitive salary, employer-covered health insurance, 401(k), flexible spending, HSA.
- Tech talks, mentorship programs, employee events.
- Growth and learning opportunities from a tech environment include working closely with an international team of scientists, engineers, platform architects, programmers, executive staff and professionals.
Swift Navigation is a diverse and inclusive team. We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status or other defining characteristics.
Swift Navigation will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of SFPC Art.49