Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. Toast is looking for an energetic and enthusiastic Indirect Tax Associate to join its Tax function. This role will be part of the Tax Team and will support all US state/local and international indirect tax compliance, reporting, audits, planning and integration activities.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Support global indirect tax compliance, including US sales & use, Canadian GST/HST, and gross receipts to ensure timely and accurate reporting and remittance
- Work with external compliance provider to ensure all monthly data transferred is complete and accurate
- Review external compliance provider’s return work-papers and reconcile to monthly data provided
- Prepare quarterly indirect tax accruals and reconciliations for key accounts for SOX control purposes
- Prepare, monitor, and update indirect tax filing calendar on a monthly basis
- Assist in responding to notices and information requests from taxing authorities
- Assist with indirect tax audits, including preparation of data collection and analysis, reviewing data for accuracy, gathering documentation, and investigating any issues
- Perform tax research related to different Toast products and service offerings, prepare memorandums and other written documentation, and maintain and communicate knowledge of past, present, and potential future indirect tax laws, guidance, and court decisions that are applicable to Toast’s core business
- Support indirect tax planning, acquisitions, and new ventures
- Manage the development and implementation of indirect tax automation tools and process improvements
- Support the tax technology roadmap, including assistance with implementation, testing, ensuring our tax engine is configured properly, and developing reporting requirements
- Collaborate with key departments across the organization, including Accounting, Finance, Product, Legal, Systems, and Operations
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field
- 2+ years of tax experience working at a public accounting firm and/or multinational corporation, primarily focused on indirect tax
- Strong organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to find and implement best practices
- Ability to issue spot and apply core indirect tax concepts to the business
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and able to manage multiple competing priorities and accelerated deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
Special Sauce* (Nonessential Skills/Nice to Haves)
- CPA, JD or Master's in Taxation
- Experience using G Suite applications (Spreadsheet, Docs, Slides, etc.)
- Experience running reports and extracting data or invoices from NetSuite
- Experience with maintaining, running reports and extracting data from Vertex O Series
- Experience with data analysis and automation tools, such as Alteryx, Power BI, or similar tools
- Strong tax research skills using databases, such as RIA Checkpoint and CCH
- Global indirect tax experience in the technology industry and/or multinational company
- Familiarity with marketplace facilitator laws and requirements
Our Spread* of Total Rewards:
- Flexible Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].