Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
As Lead UX Content Strategist on the Design Foundations team, you are a passionate advocate for the power of words to create frictionless user experiences across products. You build customer trust by simplifying complexity, humanizing technical jargon, and inviting everyone with inclusive language. You foster collaborations with the broader R&D organization and marketing to achieve alignment around your approach, using governance as a key tool to provide consistency.
You’re right for this role if you have previously defined the process by which the tone of voice for products comes to life through content. You have a keen eye for succinct, clear language that stays true to the rules of grammar, brand voice, and style. Your expert verbal and written communication skills make you both an inspirational mentor to team members and a leadership influencer.
About this roll* (responsibilities):
- Manage the development of a content strategy for Toast products using UX writing and information architecture best practices
- Define Toast’s UX writing conventions based on our brand tone of voice — owning copy consistency across products
- Work closely with Toast’s Design Systems Team, Designers, Researchers, and Product Managers to understand requirements and produce clear, concise, helpful guidelines, documentation, and user experiences
- Conduct content inventories and audits to inform navigation and other information architecture decisions
- Write human, simple copy considering multiple solutions and delivering well thought-out options on time
- Handle multiple assignments with ease and mentor contributors to the UX writing space with grace
- Present confidently and deliver work to a variety of audiences, articulating copy choices and the thinking behind your recommendations
Do you have the right ingredients*? (requirements):
- Experience UX writing or content strategy on a product team.
- Relevant BA/BS degree preferred
- Love for mentoring team members in the craft of producing great copy
- Experience defining system-wide product writing standards, guides, and frameworks
- Experience working with design systems
- Understanding of UX design with the ability to recognize when copy isn't the solution to the problem
- Experience with existing style guides (AP, Chicago) and adapting them to your brand or product portfolio
- Experience with information architecture including content mapping, content audits and taxonomy development.
- Passion for the production of simple, straightforward, user-centered copy and a demonstrable portfolio to prove it
- Comfortable working in Zeroheight, Google docs, Figma
- Innovative thinking, empathy, and a desire to continuously learn and evolve
Our spread* of Total Rewards (benefits):
- Flexible time off
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- 100% paid childbirth recovery medical leave
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave
- Eligibility for 100% paid medical or family leave
- Subsidized backup childcare
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Home office and telecommunications stipends
- Free access to Certified Financial Planners
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
*We love a good bread or food pun!
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].