GoPro helps the world to capture and share itself in immersive and exciting ways. We are a force for positivity, celebrating all things awesome while inspiring people to pursue their passions.
We celebrate diversity. We practice inclusion. We foster belonging. We demand equity. And we share the experiences of individuals and communities who also hold these values as core to who they are. From Bucharest to Munich, Silicon Valley to Shenzhen, we are dedicated to building a company that reflects and honors the diverse global communities where we live, work, and play.
Founded in 2002 by Nick Woodman, a photo and video enthusiast in search of a better way to film himself and his friends surfing, GoPro has grown into a relentlessly innovative brand loved around the world for its insanely versatile and enabling products.
We are GoPro and we love what we build.
The role, based in our Shanghai office, will support the transactional and contractual needs of the company in the APAC region with a particular focus on China. The role will work on diverse legal and business issues that require good judgment, flexibility, and critical thinking with a practical and business-friendly approach. The Legal Counsel will interact with business stakeholders on a daily basis to structure transactions, negotiate and draft contracts, and provide sound legal advice on a variety of company issues. The Legal Counsel must have the ability to act as the primary legal contact for the region, addressing complex legal and business issues in creative and effective ways while exercising sound business judgment and managing legal risk effectively and decisively. The Legal Counsel will report into the Head of the Legal International team, based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a wide variety of sales, marketing, supply chain, and licensing agreements.
- Act as a true generalist, being the regional point-of-contact for a wide range of areas including commercial contracting, employment, consumer rights, e-commerce, privacy, anti-trust, dispute resolution and IP enforcement.
- Act as Data Protection Officer for the Philippines and China and be part of the decision making and reporting on personal data processing activities in the region.
- Provide regulatory, compliance and general commercial advice from both country and regional perspectives.
- Efficiently manage outside counsel across multiple countries and associated budgets as needed.
- Work closely with other Legal International team members, as well as US based Legal team members.
- Support GoPro’s IP/Brand Protection team to fight grey trade and together with business teams act on reseller contract non-compliance.
- Help design, implement and iterate legal department processes to keep up with hyper-growth.
Skills We’re Excited About
- Strong academic credentials and law degree from a top law school.
- Qualified to practice law in China.
- At least 8 years of post-qualification experience, ideally at a top tier law firm and/or in-house experience at a dynamic and international
- Ability to interpret laws, regulations, policies, procedures and effectively analyze and communicate related impacts to colleagues and stakeholders across the globe.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Excellent commercial negotiating and drafting skills in both English and Chinese (Mandarin).
- Strong analytic mind and a commercial outlook.
Bonus Points For
- Proven experience with privacy laws and practices.
- Being a certified information privacy professional (CIPP/A), by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
- Get your very own GoPro (mounts and accessories included)
- Live it. Eat it. Love it. – Two dedicated hours during your work week to explore your passions and capture it with your GoPro
- Employee discounts on GoPro products and other industry discounts
- Competitive salary
- Paid Time Off Programs
- Commercial Insurance
- Kitchen with coffee bar, drinks, and snacks galore
We strive for the day that no group can be described as underrepresented at GoPro – whether as part of our brand or in our workforce. We are committed to providing a more inclusive, representative, equal, just and happy world. GoPro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.