Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Toast’s Hardware team designs and develops world-class hardware devices in conjunction with our JDM & ODM partners. We are a very lean team that focuses on the key elements of Android devices and accessories, and architect our devices to offer the best hardware solutions for our customers. From our close relationships with our customers, we have learned the important design features that make our devices truly restaurant-grade. We focus on the long-term reliability of our devices to ensure our customers do not have to be concerned with their Toast hardware always being ready for another busy day.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
As the Mechanical Lead Architect, you will lead the Mechanical Engineering design effort in the conceptualization, architecting, designing, developing, NPI and sustaining Engineering on our products. You will provide leadership and guidance to other junior members of the team and collaborate with other key teams at Toast. We are all driven to make the best restaurant POS systems for our customers. You will need to develop strong relationships with our JDM/OEM partners as well. On a given day, you might be reviewing design documents and concepts, coordinating discussions between teams, collaborating on roadmaps with architectural and product stakeholders, and providing technical guidance to other team members.
- Coach other individual contributors for professional and technical development.
- Architect and develop innovative devices that will delight our customers.
- Drive knowledge sharing across the engineering organization.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to deliver world class devices.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- BS degree in ME or equivalent practical experience.
- Multriple years of experience developing Android or similar devices.
- Experience with injection molded parts, castings, sheet metal parts, glass lenses, die-cut parts as well as electromechanical devices like LCD panels, speakers, microphones, switches, mechanical mechanisms. You’ll also need to be familiar with various decoration technologies, like painting, printing, plating, and polishing.
- Hands-on experience with prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification and manufacturing support.
- Root cause design, manufacturability, or production issues to optimize designs and successfully take products to mass production.
- Must have experience with NPI and being passionate about getting the details right the first time out of the gate.
- Ability to travel internationally.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.