Job Title: Principal Firmware Engineer
- Remote USA – (West Coast) This role can be performed anywhere from a PST Time Zone. GoPro requires that all onsite visitors and workers be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Vaccination is not required to perform this role, but you will not be permitted to visit GoPro’s office locations if you are unvaccinated. An exception
You will be responsible for designing and developing the for GoPro’s future, exciting, consumer product line. As the principal embedded developer working collaboratively with in firmware engineering team and other engineering teams, you will drive design and development of camera firmware infrastructure and camera stacks and use cases. You will drive industry best practices in the embedded development such as requirement analysis, modular and scalable design as well as drive design for automation tests. You will also lead in key firmware prototyping initiatives within the company to validate design concepts with in the engineering teams to help shape up the engineering feasibility studies and engineering requirements.
What You Will Do
- Design and develop embedded software for GoPro cameras with modularity and scalability into considerations.
- Must have strong understanding of the design and development on Complex embedded products using Silicon on Chip.
- Translation of product and engineering requirements into embedded software design and production worthy code.
- Design and develop Audio, Video sub systems.
- Responsible for working with the project leads to de-risk the project deliverables with technical inputs.
- Responsible for code review writing requirements, design reviews, and schematic reviews
Skills We’re Excited About
- Ideally, but not exclusively, a M.S. Computer Science is highly desirable along with 10+ years of experience in designing and developing advanced embedded software for complex consumer electronics embedded systems.
- Expert in writing shippable code in C and C++ languages.
- Strong debugging skills for embedded software systems.
- Proficient in working with controlling audio, video encoders, decoders and system subsystem.
- Familiarity with the ISP architecture and firmware flow for buffer management is a plus.
- Good understanding of battery-operated devices with power and thermal management frameworks is a plus.
- Proficient in using version controlling systems such as GitHub or equivalent.
- 10+ years’ experience in consumer electronics product firmware development.
- Experience in technically leading firmware development in geographically spread development teams.
- Solid understanding of real time operating systems, Linux or equivalent.
- Technology awareness – LCD/touch, battery, WiFi/BT/4G, USB, display port, Power management
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Knowledge of the Product Development Lifecycle.
- Growth mindset, curiosity to learn new systems and improve upon them.
- Excellent communication skills backed by strong analytical skills.
- Get your very own GoPro camera + gear
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees, 80% paid for dependents
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Generous time off policy
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for new parents
- Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) options
- Discounted employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- LiveHealthy monthly wellness reimbursement
- Innovative remote-friendly wellness classes and events
- Flexible work arrangements
- Professional + personal development opportunities, i.e. LinkedIn Learning
- Opportunities to get involved in the causes that you care about (annual camera donation + volunteer events)
We strive for the day that no group can be described as underrepresented at GoPro – whether as part of our brand or in our workforce. We are committed to providing a more inclusive, representative, equal, just and happy world. GoPro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The ranges added below are for Colorado-based hires only and will be dependent on candidate experience. Pay ranges for candidates in other locations other than CO may differ. Pay range: $155,975-$183,500.