Now, the Toast team is more than ever committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurants of the future.
Are you bready* for a change?
Toast is scaling rapidly and with that growth comes an exciting new opportunity to join our new Platform organization in Bangalore. Toast is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join our Reporting team where we are building the next generation of Reporting & Analytics for our restaurants. We want to build a one-stop shop for restaurants to make it easier, faster, and more enjoyable to manage a successful restaurant. You will enable restaurants to access data, draw meaningful insights, and take data-driven actions by steering the team to develop the best-in-class solution.
As a Principal Software Engineer on our team, you will:
- Bring your domain and general experience to architect complex systems at scale and possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
- Drive overall technical architecture, design, build and launch features/improvements on our platform.
- Be involved in complex, high-impact projects that may span multiple teams and amplify their impact by aligning organizations toward coherent architectural strategies.
- Champion best practices for development, deployment, and quality life-cycles.
- Encourage all parties and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Highly proficient knowledge in a high-level programming language such as Java, Kotlin, Go, etc. No problems if you have experience with other languages. Good engineers can adapt.
- Strong foundations in Data Structures, Algorithms, Big Data, and Data Pipelines
- Enjoys building well-engineered, usable, and accessible systems
- Experience working in a team with Agile/Scrum methodology
- Have knowledge of and experience in building backend services/APIs
- Have a strong understanding of software engineering, distributed systems, and Event Platforms gained from hands-on experience building fault-tolerant and secure applications.
- You have experience working with product teams to invent solutions that deliver good outcomes to our customers and the company
- You demonstrate humility, empathy, and respectfulness
We are hiring individuals with a wide range of experience so if you have more or less than these exact roles, please still apply!
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing, and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations, and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large-scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform, we operate RabbitMQ clusters and direct tablet communication to the back end.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].