Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Bready* to make a change?
As Toast has grown in the past year and entered a new stage (becoming a publicly traded company), the Infrastructure Engineering team has been scaling with it. As a Principal Software Engineer, you'll be deeply involved in designing and building the software that makes up Toast's internal cloud Infrastructure platform. You'll bring your experience building resilient, scalable production software to bear on projects ranging from automation frameworks and serverless backend APIs to custom Terraform providers. Paired with writing software you’ll be integral in setting standards and mentorship of other Software Engineers on the team. Work with us to deliver a platform that enables and empowers developers to reliably and safely build, test, and deploy infrastructure at scale!
About this roll*
This principal software engineer will play a significant role in building practices and standards to keep the infrastructure engineering team highly productive as it scales with our company’s incredible growth. A strong focus on communication, documentation, and mentorship of engineers with various experiences and skill sets is critical. The ideal candidate is an engineer with solid software engineering skills who’s at home solving infrastructure problems as just another piece of software.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Qualities & Essential Skills)
- A strong sense of empathy for our customers and for the people you work with
- A history of mentoring and growing successful teams
- Comfortable with a rapidly changing business and technical environment
- Direct experience writing, delivering, and operating software in a SaaS environment
- Enjoy hopping into new codebases and finding your way around
- A bias towards action, able to balance getting things done with making things perfect
You should also have exposure to, and expertise in, some but not all of the following:
- Experience writing software for both a scaling set of customers and a scaling team
- Worked extensively using Agile methodologies to produce software
- Experience building and iterating over an SDLC process
- Building actionable documentation for internal and customer use
- Testing and development strategies (e.g., TDD, BDD, unit/integration/system tests)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code Tools (e.g. Ansible, Terraform, Cloudformation)
- Experience with Container Orchestration Tools (e.g. ECS, Kubernetes)
- Experience with Monitoring Strategies, Practices and Tools (e.g. SLIs, SLOs, Datadog, Prometheus)
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- option to work hybrid or in office in Dublin, or remotely across Ireland
- Flexible paid time off
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Peer and company recognition programs
- Pension plan
- Health insurance family plan
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter benefits, bike to work
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].