Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
The Toast Point of Sale (POS) app is the central pillar of Toast’s restaurant products. Every day, many thousands of servers, hosts, bartenders, and chefs use Toast’s POS to serve millions of guests! Our team strives to make their experience as smooth and efficient. When we do our job well, the restaurant staff can focus on doing what they love: providing great food and service.
The POS app is built on Android, using Kotlin and Java, and an AWS platform that packages up all of the complexity of restaurant operations into a simple UI that anyone in the restaurant can use. To configure POS features, users login to our React web UIs.
Our team tackles a mix of technical, product, and UX challenges around third-party ordering (e.g. Doordash) and online ordering features with in-restaurant operations, such as displaying third-party orders to staff, messaging guests about their orders, and communicating order data with internal and external services. While our team focuses on the POS, we also work on backend services, which are also a mix of Kotlin and Java, with React frontends.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Design, build, and deliver features of Toast POS and Toast services
- mostly Kotlin, some Java, some React JS
- Ensure quality by baking* in automated testing for changes
- Roll* features out to customers, including monitoring for success
- Collaborate with UX and PM on the definition and design of features
- Collaborate with team to plan and estimate work
- Work with experienced engineers to get designs and code reviewed
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Deep expertise working with Android
- Experience with an enterprise app is a plus
- Expertise with Kotlin and Java
- Interest in working with backend services
- Capable of driving significant projects within their team to completion from design to rollout
- Own initiatives within a team, and mentor less experienced engineers
- Focused on delivering positive impact for Toast customers
- Enjoy working in a team environment with a shared code-bas
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.