Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
At Toast, we value every aspect of employee experience, including the reliable and accurate delivery of employee pay. Whether it’s base salary, annual bonuses, sales commissions, or special circumstances, every Toaster deserves and expects accurate, timely and reliable pay. We’re looking for an experienced payroll manager to lead the team’s work in North America. In this role, you'll manage payroll operations for Toasters working in the U.S. and some parts of Canada. Leading a small direct team and working cross-functionally with internal and external partners, you’ll be empowered to enhance and manage Toast’s payroll delivery in a seamless way, contributing to an outstanding employee experience for Toasters.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Manage overall payroll operations, delivery, and compliance for employees in assigned locations and countries. Collaborate cross-functionally to define and improve processes, establish payroll policies and deadlines, and apply sound audit practices to ensure payroll is processed accurately, securely, and on time.
- Ensure payroll is managed in compliance with local regulations, including tax withholding and local payroll reporting. Establish audits and checks to ensure payroll is accurate and securely managed. Serve as primary point of contact for payroll-related SOX compliance and internal audits for the payroll function.
- Ensure payroll information required for accounting purposes is produced accurately and on time. Provide payroll-related reports and information to finance and accounting as needed. Partner with Treasury, Finance/Accounting, and external vendors as needed to ensure smooth and accurate processing and recording of payroll.
- As needed, establish payroll operations in new regions or countries as Toast grows, and partner with payroll peers globally, across Toast and with external vendors. Work cross-functionally to identify systems, create processes, define roles and manage payroll implementation in these strategic expansion areas.
- Build, unify, and inspire a high-performing, engaged, and fully-remote (within the U.S.) payroll team.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Minimum of five years managing payroll operations within the United States (required) and Canada (preferred), preferably in a fast-growth environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in multiple scenarios: independently, collaboratively as part of a core payroll team, and cross-functionally with internal and external stakeholders, both in person and remotely.
- Outstanding people manager capabilities, including the ability to build and lead strong, psychologically safe, distributed teams and support staff growth and career development.
- The ability to plan and implement effective operational processes that involve multiple functions and external service providers.
- Strong written and verbal English language communication skills.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.