Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Toast’s Hardware Team designs and develops world-class hardware devices. We are a very lean team that focuses on the key elements of Android devices and accessories, and we architect our devices to offer the best hardware solutions for our customers. From our close relationships with our customers, we have learned the important design features that make our devices truly restaurant-grade. We focus on the long-term reliability of our devices to ensure our customers do not have to be concerned that their Toast hardware will always be ready for another busy day.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, analysis, and prototyping of new products, testing and validation of launching products, and sustaining engineering throughout the life of Toast hardware products. You will work in a product-oriented development environment and collaborate with suppliers and outside sources to design and deliver products through production.
We are in a very competitive field, so we need you to innovate and develop iconic computing devices for the fast-paced POS hardware field. You will need to have a solid mechanical design background, strong attention to detail, understanding of critical design procedures, and be accustomed to fast-paced development lifecycles. You will be expected to work closely with cross functional teams in operations, product development, program management, and hardware to define and deliver outstanding products. We empower small teams to do a lot in a fast-moving work environment.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and develop the mechanical components of our next generation of POS devices and subsystems.
- Develop part designs and mechanical systems from concept to production.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team to deliver world class devices.
- Understand the restaurant environment and design products to survive it.
- Root cause design, manufacturability, or production issues to optimize designs to successfully take products to mass production.
- Design for function, reliability, human factors, manufacturability, and cosmetic requirements.
- Support reliability issues related to products that are in the field and being used by our customers.
- BS degree in mechanical engineering.
- Demonstrated excellence collaborating across project teams with ID and electrical engineers.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience with consumer, enterprise, and/or handheld product design.
- Experience with CAD tools (Solidworks is preferred).
- Experience with mechanical design and manufacturing processes of plastic, glass, rubber, metal components, PCBs/FPCBs, soft goods and opto-electronic physical designs used in electronic products.
- Experience with decorating technologies like painting, anodization, plating, printing and coatings.
- Experience with part/tool qualification.
- Hands-on, real-world troubleshooting experience.
- Experience supporting overseas manufacturing builds.
- Experience with bringing new products to market.
- Experience with sustaining engineering responsibilities for product that have been with customers in the field.
- MS Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 8 years of relevant work experience.
- Shipped multiple products.
- Experience with PCI compliance.
- Knowledge of the POS industry.
- Knowledge of Android based devices.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.