Location: Flexible (San Mateo, CA). This role offers the flexibility to work from home, within proximity to an office location.
Are you excited about running a team of optical engineers in building optics that empower millions of people to enjoy and share their best life? If so, then this role is for you.
We are looking for a talented Senior Optical Engineering Manager who is passionate about managing a team to develop best-in-class optics, and new optical technologies that relentlessly advance the image quality of the world’s best action cameras.
This role works closely with other GoPro engineering domains, Product Management, and suppliers to define the roadmap for optics; creates execution plans to deliver new technologies and components on time and within budget; and steers a team of optical engineers from lens development and validation, through release to mass production.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in lens design, simulation, and manufacturing, and extensive experience of high-volume lens production.
What You Will Do
- Guide and mentor a team of optical engineers, cultivating our culture of collaboration; and wowing customers.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product definition, camera design, quality, operations, vendors, and contract manufacturers to ensure product excellence and consistency.
- Ensure the team has the resources, skills, and capabilities to be successful.
- Ensure delivery of successful projects, evaluate impact, and adapt to provide the required business impact.
- Make sure the team is motivated, provide mentoring, career development and perform performance management activities.
- Own all aspects of lens design, innovation, qualification, release to production, manufacturing bring-up and sustaining support.
- Develop and manage internal processes and procedures to streamline design efforts, optimize testing and encourage innovation.
- Manage relationships with lens vendors to ensure performance requirements, schedule and budget are met.
- Create new solutions and develop new technologies in optics to continually innovate and disrupt consumer digital imaging systems.
Skills We’re Excited About
- B.S. or M.S. in optical engineering or a related field.
- 3+ years of experience managing teams of at least 5 people.
- Strong management and mentorship skills with the ability to inspire and motivate a team of engineers through challenging projects.
- 10+ years of experience in lens, optical system design and production.
- Expertise in Code V or Zemax. Stray light analysis a plus.
- Industry experience in lens manufacturing.
- Expertise and experience in lens design for digital cameras, automotive, security or mobile.
- Strong knowledge of, and experience in, specifying lens design and performance parameters.
- Experience in the testing and characterization of lens performance.
- Experience in international vendor management.
- Highly efficient communication skills, able to interact at various levels of the organization, from individual contributors to upper management.
Why Work With Us?
Create your own destiny. GoPro enables you and trusts you to get your own job done, because we believe that autonomy in role brings out the best in our employees.
Live your best life. We’ve adopted remote and flexible work arrangements to support work at GoPro alongside our commitment to supporting employee wellbeing, belonging and connection with one another.
Work with leading edge technologies. We encourage employees to cultivate and use the latest and greatest technology, to provide the best solutions to serve our customers. We celebrate creative solutions that bring innovation to GoPro technology.
- Get your very own GoPro camera + gear
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees, 80% paid for dependents
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Generous time off policy
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for new parents
- Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) options
- Discounted employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- LiveHealthy monthly wellness reimbursement
- Innovative remote-friendly wellness classes and events
- Flexible work arrangements
- Professional + personal development opportunities, i.e. LinkedIn Learning
- Opportunities to get involved in the causes that you care about (annual camera donation + volunteer events)
We strive for the day that no group can be described as underrepresented at GoPro – whether as part of our brand or in our workforce. We are committed to providing a more inclusive, representative, equal, just and happy world. GoPro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The pay range for this role is between $164,475 – $252,425. Actual pay within the range is dependent on multiple factors, including your residence location and prior work experience. Equity, benefits, and a discretionary bonus may be additional forms of compensation for this role and are not included in the provided pay range.