Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. We are building a new team focused on solving for quality holistically and looking for a Senior Principal Engineer to help architect and design our technical solutions in this space. In pursuit of greater quality across all Toast products, this team will:
- Design and build tooling & infrastructure that makes it easy and fun for engineers to test, and for teams to report out on the quality of their product
- Inspire a culture of automated testing to enable product teams to easily test their own code
As the foundation of this team, this role will help architect, design, build, and maintain technology to advance the state of testing and test automation across Toast, so that we may confidently and quickly release products that our customers can rely on to run their business 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
As Toast’s Senior Principal Engineer, Test Automation, you will lead quality strategy across R&D. This means you will:
- Collaborate across all engineering and QA teams to ensure a holistic approach to quality that applies appropriate testing methodologies
- Establish strong working relationships with Toast infrastructure and platform teams to enhance automated testing and quality coverage
- Partner with product management to ensure that testing reflects the real world use cases of our customers
- Define the metrics that we should care about, track, and work to improve
- Design or select solutions to testing mobile apps, web apps, and backend infrastructure
- Help guide an engineering team in their implementation of these solutions, as well as contribute hands on where necessary
- Drive delivery of business outcomes across multiple teams, including planning and execution
- Influence architecture decisions in your team and more broadly across Toast to improve quality overall
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 8+ years of experience with software development for a Software-as-a-Service product company, 3+ years in an object-oriented language such as Java or C#. Strong understanding of developer workflows and software development lifecycles, and the ability to translate that understanding to effecting change in testing culture
- Supported testing infrastructure / platform for 100+ engineer distributed team, including web and mobile customer applications. Broad experience with testing tools and libraries across multiple tech stacks. Mobile and device testing experience would be a significant bonus
- History / experience developing roadmap for improved quality, including presenting to senior stakeholders as well as rolling out to development teams
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- A passion for high quality software and excellent customer experience
- A deep understanding of testing, quality, and best practices
- A bias towards action, with the ability to balance between getting things done and making things perfect
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.