Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an unrivaled commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help shape the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
Reporting to the Sr Director, Enterprise Architecture, the Principal Technology Architect is a multidisciplinary role that designs, architect, develops, and maintains Toast’s enterprise applications and surrounding integration solutions. The Enterprise Architecture team is focused on building scalable, flexible and secure architecture to ensure our enterprise technology and processes can scale with the rapidly growing business. This is a unique time to join Toast as we invest in getting to our next stage of growth in supporting many customer segments, product lines and markets.
The role requires taking technical ownership of various enterprise initiatives, working side-by-side with key stakeholders across Toast. The role exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and criteria for achieving objectives.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced professional who is proficient in software engineering practices and enterprise architecture. In this role, you will primarily work as an Enterprise Architect, with a specific focus on Enterprise Systems Integrations. The ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge of Integration techniques/technology, as well as the ability to provide architectural guidance to other product/program teams.
As a Principal Technology Architect – Integrations you will:
- Collaborate with business leadership to ensure balance between short- and long-term goals for the Enterprise Architecture team.
- Collaborate with diverse teams, including system engineers, application architects, product owners, and infrastructure teams, to define integration strategies, standards, and guidelines.
- Demonstrate thought leadership through recognized architecture principles and cloud architecture techniques
- Lead the end-to-end integration design, develop and maintain comprehensive integration architecture artifacts to communicate design decisions, patterns, and principles
- Architect scalable, resilient, fault-tolerant, and high-performance integration solutions, addressing security, data privacy, and compliance considerations.
- Promote modern integration methods like serverless computing and DevOps
- Utilize expertise in messaging platforms (e.g. Kafka) for real-time integration and decoupling
- Guide technology selection, solution design, and integration practices across the organization
- Lead architecture assessment, encompassing the evaluation of proposed Architecture Decision Records and administration of other aspects of the Enterprise Architecture Repository.
- Develop EA standards, data architecture standards, EA governance frameworks, and system integration standards
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 5+ years’ experience in a Solutions Architect, Technical Architect or Lead Architect role leading the discovery, design, and construction of multiplatform solutions
- 5+ years Experience Building/Maintaining Enterprise Integration Architectures
- Extensive experience integrating cloud SaaS applications such as Salesforce, Netsuite, and Zuora
- Expertise with integration platforms/iPaaS, and creating modern and robust integration ecosystems using a range of PaaS services from one or more of the following (AWS, Azure, GCP, Oracle Cloud, IBM Cloud).
- Proficiency with API development (REST, SOAP, GraphQL), API management, and API security
- Expertise in modern integration patterns e.g. EDA, microservices, message platforms
- Proficient in optimizing integration with NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Cassandra, DynamoDB, Cosmos)
- Skilled in Agile development methodologies
- Sound familiarity with CI/CD and other DevOps principles, observability tools (Splunk, DataDog)
- Deep understanding of architectural knowledge including Domain Driven Architecture, Clean Architecture, SOLID principles etc
- Extensive background in software engineering (e.g. Java, Python, Ruby, Node)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience. 12+ years experience in Software Development/Engineering.
Bonus ingredients (a pinch of salt):
- Familiarity with containerization and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Data management knowledge: governance, dictionary, quality, MDM, lineage, catalog
- Designing, building, deploying services on major cloud platforms
- TOGAF or solution architecture certifications (e.g. AWS, Azure).
Our Spread* of Total Rewards
We strive to provide competitive compensation and benefits programs that help to attract, retain, and motivate the best and brightest people in our industry. Our total rewards package goes beyond great earnings potential and provides the means to a healthy lifestyle with the flexibility to meet Toasters’ changing needs. Learn more about our benefits at https://careers.toasttab.com/toast-benefits.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].