Location: In Office (San Mateo, CA) – This role requires in office work 4-5 days/week.
GoPro requires all onsite visitors and workers to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. An exception to this rule may be made if you qualify for an approved accommodation
GoPro makes it easy for people to celebrate and share experiences. We believe life is more meaningful when shared. We build cameras, software, and accessories that help the world share itself in immersive and exciting ways.
GoPro is a global movement whose business is driven by shared experiences. We celebrate diversity. We practice inclusion. We foster belonging. We demand equity. And we share the experiences of individuals and communities who also hold these values as core to who they are. From Bucharest to Munich, Silicon Valley to Shenzhen, we are dedicated to building a company that reflects and honors the diverse global communities where we live, work, and play.
Senior RF Engineer Role
Are you a hands-on wireless design engineer? Love to get your hands dirty to create cool and innovative products that allow others to share their passions? If so, then read on!
GoPro is seeking a Senior Radio Frequency (RF) Engineer who will assist in the design, prototyping, validation and manufacturing of wireless technologies into GoPro products. Working closely within a small core team, you will help to design and validate products from concept to prototype to mass production. This position will involve working cross-functionally with other engineering teams in design of GoPro products. You may also be involved in working with our JDM partners, developing wireless test plans for execution by the JDM partner, and monitoring development from concept through to production.
The ideal candidate will have an in-depth understanding of WiFi, Bluetooth and GNSS technologies. You will have experience in both design and verification of these systems, or similar wireless technologies in mobile products. In addition, having a solid understanding of receiver desense mitigation techniques would be a great asset to the team. You communicate well, both verbal and written; able to present ideas clearly to teams within the organization.
What You Will Do
- Design low cost wireless solutions for portable cameras, camera accessories and other wireless products such that they meet product requirement specifications.
- Create schematics, drive placement of RF circuitry, and work closely with PCB layout team to create solid RF designs.
- Utilize circuit simulation tools to assist design activities.
- Take an active role in hardware design reviews with cross functional engineering teams such as mechanical, electrical, firmware and thermal
- Develop detailed documentation, such as wireless test plans, and drive existing, as well as new processes, to ensure high quality products.
- Execute rigorous and methodic design testing and optimization.
- Work closely with firmware team during product development to file JIRA bugs and come to resolutions to improve system level wireless performance.
- Support EMI and RF de-sense mitigation activities.
- Work closely with antenna design team to improve wireless performance.
- Support regulatory and certification activities related to wireless technologies and assist in resolving regulatory test issues.
- Support manufacturing by writing manufacturing test plans, assisting with bring-up and debug activities during NPI activities.
- Work closely with JDM development teams and lead technical assignments of our design partners or vendors.
- Review design data collected during in-house testing as well as factory build data.
- Perform failure analysis during development phases and troubleshoot field return issues by working closely with Quality team.
- Continue to improve quality of wireless products through robust design and verification as well as manufacturing solutions.
Skills We're Excited About
- Bachelor Science or degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 5-10 years of experience in RF hardware development
- Familiarity with design and testing of wireless technologies such as WiFi, Bluetooth, GNSS, MIMO or LTE technologies is an asset
- Understanding of RF front-end, transceiver and system architecture, components, and specifications.
- Extensive lab experience, including all RF test equipment such as network analyzer, spectrum analyzers, power meters, signal generators. Capable of being self-sufficient in a lab environment; ability to solder components and test prototypes.
- Experience using RF simulation tools like ADS, Genesys or CST for circuit and 3D EM simulations.
- Familiar with schematic creation and PCB design tools such as OrCAD and Cadence Allegro is an asset.
- Proven ability in analyzing root cause, complex design debugging, and problem solving.
- Knowledge of system level debugging such as receiver de-sense mitigation techniques to improve receiver performance.
- Experience with board bring-up, calibration, and supporting pre-certification RF testing.
- Demonstrated successful design, development and production of low cost, space constrained, consumer electronics.
- Familiar with the design process from concept through board development and system integration.
- Understanding of EMC/EMI testing for regulatory compliance and certification including SAR.
- Experience with regulatory requirements and process for wireless consumer devices, such as FCC, ETSI, PTCRB, etc.
- Proven ability to work independently with little direction as well as multi-task
- Ability to work cross-functionally along with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Comfortable in sharing data and giving presentations to other engineering teams and management.
Bonus Points For
- Ability to program in Python or similar programming language.
- Get your very own GoPro camera + gear
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees, 80% paid for dependents
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Generous time off policy
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for new parents
- Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) options
- Discounted employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- LiveHealthy monthly wellness reimbursement
- Innovative remote-friendly wellness classes and events
- Flexible work arrangements
- Professional + personal development opportunities, i.e. LinkedIn Learning
- Opportunities to get involved in the causes that you care about (annual camera donation + volunteer events)
We strive for the day that no group can be described as underrepresented at GoPro – whether as part of our brand or in our workforce. We are committed to providing a more inclusive, representative, equal, just and happy world. GoPro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.