Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, team management, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support.
As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity of background and experience.
Do you like to solve complex problems at scale? Toast is looking for a Software Engineer to play a key role on our Customer Experience Platform team. We go the extra mile to enable our restaurants to become experts in the full Toast Platform, encompassing Point of Sale, Digital Ordering, Loyalty, Employee, Inventory, and more using a combination of a reimagined user experience and deep analytical thinking on what is working and what is not.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- Empowering restaurants to configure their locations via self-service thereby allowing Toast to dramatically scale our customer base
- Providing fully customizable, step by step walkthroughs of key product modules
- Scaling our analytics service to support 10x capacity while also supporting downstream systems in near-real time with a rich data architecture
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Work with fellow engineers, product managers, designers, and user researchers to make hands-on contributions to our analytics platform, as well as the customer onboarding platform used by all R&D teams at Toast
- Design and maintain engineering solutions for data capture, processing, and transfer (e.g. ETL)
- Build relationships with other Toast teams in order to identify and access potential data sources that support the Customer Experience Platform team’s mission
- Design and implement software solutions (distributed systems, infrastructure-as-code) that power services and workflows across the entire Customer Experience Platform ecosystem
- Ship code that has a massive impact on the growth of Toast
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Experience with some or all:
- Scalable data storage and architecture (relational, document-oriented, and/or graph databases)
- Data ETL (extract, transform, load)
- Building back-end services and APIs
- Programmatically managing systems and services (infrastructure-as-code)
- Experience working with product management teams
- Aligning on outcomes and KPIs
- Prioritizing work and milestones
- Pushing back and offering alternative solutions
- Estimating level of effort, especially for ambiguous problems
- You embrace the ethos of owning your code in production (instrumentation, observability, debugging)
- You’re hungry to learn more and willing to take on challenging projects if it means you’ll be a better engineer at the end
- You empathize with all business roles, and have an interest in business strategy and execution
Special Sauce* (Nonessential Skills)
- You’ve got a curiosity to dive deeply into onboarding and post-onboarding experiences, understand and optimize every aspect of the process, and inform roadmaps based on your insights
- You’ve worked with experimentation frameworks (often referred to as A/B experiments) and understand the value of using metrics to drive product direction
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*We love a great bread/food pun
More on our tech stack:
Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java and Kotlin on DropWizard while the front end is React; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service elevations and robust load balancing. We store data in PostgreSQL databases or DynamoDB tables depending on use case, and utilize Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. Apache Pulsar and Camel are used extensively in our integration transaction workflow processing.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.