Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Restaurant orders are at the center of the restaurant operations. As orders are prepared and served or delivered, many systems have to work together seamlessly so the restaurant can provide great service to their guests. What’s the correct price of the order after applying taxes and discounts? How many orders can the kitchen prepare during rush to keep up with demand? When should a guest or a delivery driver arrive to pick up their food? How will the order be categorized and tracked to create actionable reporting and insights? Toast’s key role in the center of these workflows gives us the operational data and the leverage to introduce products that improve both the guest experience and the restaurant’s bottom line.
Examples of projects that the team works on:
- Providing the infrastructure to make sure orders sync across all devices within the restaurant and to the Toast backend systems (gRPC, Pulsar, RMQ, Java, Kotlin, DynamoDB, Android, Java/Kotlin)
- Provide tax, pricing, and discount solutions that can be easily customized to help our customers maximize their restaurant profits / margins
- Providing standardized & easy access to orders data through REST APIs and microservices for our internal and external partners (Java, Kotlin, Drop Wizard, DynamoDB, PostGres, Pulsar)
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain highly resilient and scalable systems that are critical to our customers’ success
- Lead complex projects that improve functionality and reliability for our customers
- Review code to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimizations
- Mentor and coach other engineers
- Collaborate with UX and PM on the definition and design of features
- Collaborate with team to plan and estimate work
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Experience working with an Object Oriented Language like Java or Kotlin,
- Understanding of testing, quality, and SDLC best practices
- Experience building backend services and APIs
- Experience shipping production services and balancing getting things done with platform stability and reliability
- Focused on delivering positive impact for Toast customers
- Enjoys working in a team environment with a shared code-base
- Excellent cross-team communication skills on complex technical topics
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.