Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Are you ready for a change?
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to play a critical role in further scaling and developing Toast’s cloud platform and infrastructure. Toast’s platform processes tens of millions of requests per day from hundreds of internal services and more than a hundred thousand mobile devices; these numbers grow exponentially year over year as we add new restaurants and capabilities to the platform. Our team is responsible for developing secure, observable, highly available, large-scale, and productive “Application Platform”.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Designing, building, and maintaining super reliable, high performance services
- Defining and improving developer workflow, from service creation to shared library use, to deployment and elevation.
- Working with industry authorities to evaluate and implement new technology
- Actively contributing to product design and feature selection discussions
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Proficient in object oriented languages
- Well-versed in software architecture
- Exposure to complex, mission critical, or large scale systems
- Desire to improve developer workflow
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java and Kotlin, to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services are a mix of synchronous DropWizard microservices in Java or Kotlin, and asynchronous services using Apache Pulsar and Apache Camel. We use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service management and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is primarily SPAs using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.