Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
We help restaurants thrive by automating, integrating, and simplifying their operations. Third-party platforms like UberEats and DoorDash are a double-edged sword for many restaurants, bringing in sales they rely on, while making operations harder: most restaurants end up maintaining a “tablet farm” – a station with multiple tablets and chargers that becomes yet another set of screens to care for and sink time into. Beyond the hardware, each account has its own idiosyncrasies, with its data having to be manually input into other systems, taxes calculated, and menus managed. Our team eliminates this entire headache.
Since our customers already use Toast to manage their dine-in orders, we have built integrations with UberEats, DoorDash, and Grubhub which make it simple to sign up with and start using any or all of those services. Our users can then use one interface that aggregates all orders so they can see and manage them all in one place, regardless of their source.
To that end, our team maintains a set of microservices written mostly in Kotlin (some Java) and their related inbound and outbound APIs. The work is mostly on the backend, with a small portion of frontend work in React SPAs, and everything is hosted in AWS.
Our microservices tackle a lot of challenges, from making the initial setup as simple as possible for the busy restaurateur, to translating third party models and giving the restaurant as much control as possible over each integration: times of operation, order quote times, and traffic management. We ensure that orders are accurate, deliveries are quick, guests are happy – and that when they are not, that the restaurant has everything they need to address it.
Our team owns all parts of the integrations, from data analysis and feature creation to deployment into production, and as the gatekeepers of third-party orders, we interact with teams across engineering to innovate on fundamental improvements to the complex Toast ecosystem.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Design, build, and deliver features for Toast’s third-party ordering and delivery products across the full technology stack (mostly Kotlin, some Java, some React JS)
- Ensure quality by baking* in automated testing for changes
- Roll* features out to customers, including monitoring for success
- Collaborate with UX and Product Management on the definition and design of features
- Collaborate with team to plan and estimate work
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Comfortable working in AWS with a high-level programming language, like Java
- Kotlin experience is not required, but it is a plus
- Have experience working on, delivering, and maintaining production code
- Are focused on delivering positive impact for customers
- Enjoy working in a collaborative team environment with a shared code-base
- Have a hospitality mindset
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.