Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Our team is responsible for processing credit card payments on behalf of our restaurants. Our system is a set of Java Dropwizard services deployed to AWS, interacting with thousands of Android tablets using modern payments hardware, as well as with partners through our API. Payment processing is a key source of Toast’s revenue and also the lifeblood of our customers’ business: we process multiple millions of dollars in transactions every day. We are looking for a Software Engineer II to join our team as we scale our systems to meet future demands.
About this roll*:
As a Software Engineer II on our team, you will:
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain highly resilient and scalable systems that are critical to our customers’ success
- Learn from our scaling problems, and implement solutions to those problems
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimizations
- Investigate and solve payment processing issues to improve the customer experience
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- Experience in Java, Kotlin or other object oriented language(s)
- Passionate about writing awesome code and delivering impactful scalable solutions
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- You have a growth mindset with an emphasis on improving yourself and your team
- You balance getting things done with platform stability.
*Bread puns encouraged but not require
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- Medical Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
- Pension and matching
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.