Location: Remote USA. This role can be performed anywhere from the United States.
On this team you are going to be responsible for developing our media editing libraries to enable more capabilities in our ecosystem of video and media editing tools across all platforms and products. GoPro delivers a set of world-class, cross platform, video editing applications on iOS, Android, MacOS and Windows that are collectively used by millions of people each month. These tools enable users to easily build incredible videos of their life events and share them with their family and friends.
The person in this role will be responsible for maintaining and optimizing core libraries for image processing, effects rendering, media encoding and decoding, as well as researching innovative new techniques for edits and effects, helping users to create engaging and compelling edits with their media.
What You Will Do
As a Video Software engineer, you will contribute to the following topics to our editing engine:
- Focus on building cross-platform libraries for macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android
- Support image processing backends for OpenGL, Vulkan, Metal, and DirectX
- Support media decoding and encoding backends for multiple platforms
- Develop and refine our shading language abstraction
- Research and develop optimal techniques implementation to meet stakeholder's requirements (visual/audio effects, machine learning, etc)
- Color management
- Tooling used by the creative team
- Establish and drive quality-first, continuous improvement practices to achieve key business objectives
- Manage and distribute libraries releases internally to different teams
- Work closely with Project Managers and partner engineering teams to align project priorities and schedules, provide work estimates, and identify and mitigate risks
Skills We’re Excited About
- Cross-platform development experience: Preferably Windows and at least 1 Unix platform (Linux or macOS)
- Proficient in C and C++
- Proficient in GPU programming and performance tuning
- Proficient in at least one GPU shading language
- Experience with building with various build systems or other build tools (Meson, CMake, Make, MSVC, Xcode, etc.)
- Development experience in an Agile environment
- Experience with Git, continuous integration, and automated build tools
Bonus Points For
- Experience with hardware decoding/encoding APIs (MediaFoundation, Mediacodec, VideoToolbox, VAAPI, ..) and the relevant interoperability with the graphics APIs
- Experience with Python and C/Python bindings
- Experience with color management and various color standards
- Mathematical background, particularly vectors, matrices, and quaternions
- Knowledge of machine learning, computer vision, or audio processing
- General interest with audio, photo, and video editing / streaming
Why Work With Us?
Create your own destiny. GoPro enables you and trusts you to get your own job done, because we believe that autonomy in role brings out the best in our employees.
Live your best life. We’ve adopted remote and flexible work arrangements to support work at GoPro alongside our commitment to supporting employee wellbeing, belonging and connection with one another.
Work with leading edge technologies. We encourage employees to cultivate and use the latest and greatest technology, to provide the best solutions to serve our customers. We celebrate creative solutions that bring innovation to GoPro technology.
- Get your very own GoPro camera + gear
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees, 80% paid for dependents
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Generous time off policy
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for new parents
- Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) options
- Discounted employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- LiveHealthy monthly wellness reimbursement
- Innovative remote-friendly wellness classes and events
- Flexible work arrangements
- Professional + personal development opportunities, i.e. LinkedIn Learning, technology trainings, certifications, Peer-to-Peer learning, conferences and more
- Opportunities to get involved in the causes that you care about (annual camera donation + volunteer events)
We strive for the day that no group can be described as underrepresented at GoPro – whether as part of our brand or in our workforce. We are committed to providing a more inclusive, representative, equal, just, and happy world. GoPro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The pay range for this role is between $135,150 – $213,325. Actual pay within the range is dependent on multiple factors, including your residence location and prior work experience. Equity, benefits, and a discretionary bonus may be additional forms of compensation for this role and are not included in the provided pay range.