DSE at GoPro is responsible for our in-house data platform infrastructure, data engineering, automated data analytics reporting, and ML Ops platform. We are responsible for enabling and empowering our partners in product engineering, software engineering, product analytics, marketing, and subscription business to make data-driven decisions by providing infrastructure, tools, services, and visualization to access data and business reports. We also prepare data and metrics to support data scientists and business operations.
GoPro is seeking a versatile, hands-on Engineering Manager reporting to the Director, Data Engineering in the US to join a team of big data engineering experts located in both the US and Romania. The hire will be responsible for managing a team of three Big Data Software Engineers in Bucharest to deliver a best-in-class data platform and data pipeline solutions that meet business requirements and operates efficiently at scale.
The ideal candidate is an experienced lead software engineer with a focus on designing and developing a big-data ecosystem. The candidate should be self-directed with a passion for analyzing the data, understanding its relationship, and sharing insights with the combination of building & optimizing data systems and software engineering best practices.
This is a hands-on role in designing, developing & deploying data solutions as a part of the project work.
What You Will Do
- Collaborate with business stakeholders, product owners, and the data engineering team in the US for business requirements and prioritize initiatives.
- Work with and manage the team of data and software engineers on the team to ensure efficient and timely delivery.
- Plan, design, develop, test, deploy, document, and support data pipeline solutions.
- Provide technical supervision for all facets of data engineering, software engineering, and operational excellence.
- Hire, develop and mentor staff through onboarding, open communication, training, and performance management.
- Participate in deep technical discussions about design and code review PRs.
- Collaborate with the DevOps team to configure the data environment and grant required privileges in accessing different data services in the cloud.
Skills We’re Excited About
- We are looking for a candidate with 8+ years of demonstrable lead experience in designing & developing highly scalable, and fit-for-purpose data solutions, who has attained a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or another quantitative field.
- Strong software development experience with proficiency in Scala or Java.
- You are passionate about the architecture of the Big Data Technology stack consisting of layers: Data Modeling, Data Lakehouse, Data Pipeline, and Data Analytics.
- Have experience in designing and building scalable/reliable data pipelines using the Big Data ecosystem (Hive/Spark/Databricks/Presto/Kafka/Airflow or equivalents).
- Experienced in creating, modifying, and querying database entities (tables, views) using optimized SQL for performance and knowledge in data warehouse data models.
- Experienced in the design/implementation of scalable and reliable services using AWS or other cloud services.
- Knowledge of Machine Learning Model Operationalization (MLOps) is a plus.
- You have the capability to synthesize business requirements and construct technical requirements.
- Skilled in written and verbal communication skills with an ability to communicate in a clear, collaborative, open-minded, and effective manner with both technical and non-technical peers.
- People Management: Having 1 or 2 years of managing software/data engineers is a plus.
Why Work With Us?
Create your own destiny. GoPro enables you and trusts you to get your own job done, because we believe that autonomy in role brings out the best in our employees.
Live your best life. We’ve adopted remote and flexible work arrangements to support work at GoPro alongside our commitment to supporting employee wellbeing, belonging and connection with one another.
Work with leading edge technologies. We encourage employees to cultivate and use the latest and greatest technology, to provide the best solutions to serve our customers. We celebrate creative solutions that bring innovation to GoPro technology.
- Get your very own GoPro camera + gear;
- Generous time off policy
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits
- Competitive salary and discretionary annual performance-related bonus
- Discounted employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- LiveHealthy monthly wellness reimbursement
- Innovative remote-friendly wellness classes and events
- Flexible work arrangements
- Professional + personal development opportunities, i.e. LinkedIn Learning, technology trainings, certifications, Peer-to-Peer learning, conferences and more.
- Opportunities to get involved in the causes that you care about (annual camera donation + volunteer events)
We strive for the day that no group can be described as underrepresented at GoPro – whether as part of our brand or in our workforce. We are committed to providing a more inclusive, representative, equal, just and happy world. GoPro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.