The Toast POS (point-of-sale) app is the central pillar of Toast’s restaurant products. Every day, many thousands of servers, hosts, bartenders, and chefs use Toast’s POS to serve millions of guests! Our team strives to make their experience smooth and efficient. When we do our job well, the restaurant staff can focus on doing what they love: providing great food and service.
The Payments Experience team owns POS workflows that restaurant servers and diners use to take payments. These workflows are spread across numerous device types and form factors. At counter service restaurants, servers have the ability to flip the tablet screen for the diner to choose a tip and provide a signature on the tablet. Toast’s secondary guest-facing displays, are dedicated screens for diners to view the running tally of their orders and take their input during the payment process. Servers can also take payments from diners on Toast’s handheld devices, and hand the device over to the diner to complete the payment process. These POS features are unique, as they are the only workflows designed and implemented to be intuitive and easy to use by servers and diners alike.
Our POS app is built on an Android, Java/Kotlin, and AWS platform that packages up all of the complexity of restaurant operations into a simple UI that anyone in the restaurant can use. To configure POS features, users login to our React web UIs. The team also frequently collaborates with the teams that manage our cloud credit card payments services, card readers integrations, and ordering workflows.
We are seeking a Tech Lead Manager with experience in Android development who will manage a small team of great engineers on the Payments Experience team. This Tech Lead Manager will be responsible for driving key projects on the team’s roadmap, cross-team alignment and collaboration, and mentoring other team members. If you are a leader who collaborates well with teams within the organization, can think big, and are passionate about building seamless experiences for your users with a focus on quality, this position is for you!
The Tech Lead Manager role involves both people management and technical leadership, and gives you the flexibility to pick the career track of your choice in the future. You can expect to partner with PMs, UX designers, and a team of talented engineers.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Lead and manage a team of 3-5 software engineers to deliver high quality results
- Guide the growth & development of engineers with mentoring, training and performance management
- Contribute to the operational plan for the team, and drive to execute towards a common goal
- Work with our engineering leadership, Product Managers and UX Designers to define and scope enhancements and new features for Toast’s POS payment workflows.
- Make hands-on code contributions to your team’s projects (30% of your time).
- Lead effort estimation sessions and use sound judgment to enable planning of projects.
- Help set the standard for software quality by adopting modern software test frameworks and practices for the team.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 5 years of software development experience, which includes at least 2 years technical leadership experience in the Android domain
- Excellent cross-team communication skills on complex technical topics
- Proficient in a modern object-oriented programming language such as Java or Kotlin
- Experience developing Android applications
- Fosters a continuous learning environment within the team
- Passionate about solving large scale problems and building great software for customers
- Strong attention to detail
- Enjoys working in a team environment with a shared code-base
Bonus ingredients* (Nice to have's)
- Prior people and performance management experience.
- Experience developing microservices in a cloud environment in Java or Kotlin
- Experience with monitoring tools to debug and resolve tough customer issues
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Can be 100% in United States
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].