Swift Navigation provides precise positioning solutions for automotive, autonomous vehicle, mobile and mass-market applications. What began as the GNSS industry’s first low-cost, high-accuracy, real-time kinematic (RTK) receiver has evolved into a Swift Navigation ecosystem of positioning solutions for autonomous applications. From the nationwide GNSS corrections delivered from the cloud by the Skylark™ precise positioning service, the hardware-independent, integrated software solution that is the Starling® positioning engine to the centimeter-level accurate Piksi® Multi and ruggedized Duro® and Duro Inertial RTK receivers, Swift Navigation is enabling a future of autonomous vehicles to navigate and understand the world. Learn more online at swiftnav.com, follow Swift on Twitter @Swiftnav
Swift Navigation is looking for an outstanding Staff Capacity Engineer to work on the core of our cloud corrections service. This position will be responsible for ensuring sufficient resources are available to support the Skylark platform to include: Network, AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Linux Servers, Common Services and “core” applications. A major component of this role is to collect performance and capacity data on all infrastructure systems and services, then analyze and model that data to identify weaknesses and forecast future needs (resources and costs). You will be responsible for the execution of a capacity management strategy, implementing and communicating capacity management processes and implementation of capacity management best practices. You will collaborate with teams to include: Architects, Engineers, Designers and Leadership to identify Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), establish telemetry and document acceptable capacity thresholds. You will also work to establish service failover capabilities for the Swift infrastructure and services to ensure seamless customer experiences.
- Lead the Capacity Management effort for Swift Navigation, and mentor the development teams to follow Capacity Management best practices
- Proactively work to identify issues before they impact customers. This is done through proper sizing, load test participation, resource modeling and trending resource usage
- Connect resource usage to business and financial impacts
- Assist in the creation of annual infrastructure budget by tracking and reporting capacity related expenses throughout the year
- Create and communicate capacity forecasts and growth expectations for all components of the Swift infrastructure
- Create and present quarterly capacity plans by incorporating technical, statistical, financial and operational data that will be shared with management and will help drive financial decisions
- Integrate annual budgets into the capacity forecast
- Work with key stakeholders to drive resource efficiencies and scale
- Drive best practices around cost management and forecasting
- Identify capacity risks and mitigate risks in a timely manner
- Ensure the most effective use of Swift’s cloud compute and network resources
- Ensure systems and solutions are developed consistently with strategic business plan
- Work with a sense of urgency, especially when addressing risks within the environment
- Effectively and professionally communicate with team members
- Maintain capacity planning tools and work with teams to ensure high degree of data integrity
- 6+ years of professional enterprise infrastructure engineering experience
- 3+ years enterprise infrastructure capacity management/engineering/planning in network, servers, public cloud
- Ability to work with a team that is geographically dispersed
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes and deal with ambiguity
- Ability to make sound decisions with minimal feedback from management
- Ability to think critically to solve problems and create/design processes
What we expect
- You should have a good understanding of current cloud technologies and experience with operating a cloud-based service (AWS preferred). We use AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Python, Golang, C++, Terraform, Prometheus/Grafana.
- Command of programming/scripting languages, and the ability to create, debug, and optimize code and automate tasks
- Strong sense of ownership and a desire to enable our engineering team to create and deploy services efficiently
- Experience with statistical analysis, modeling and forecasting
- Excellent verbal and written skills and presentations skills
What’s great about this opportunity
You will lead the Capacity Management discipline and role within Swift Navigation, as we’re moving our large-scale and distributed cloud corrections service to being production-ready and scalable. When operating a safety of life service, every second counts and you will be instrumental in building and shaping the necessary infrastructure to maintain a high performing service.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $150,000 – $197,500 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
Swift Navigation is a diverse and inclusive team. We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status or other defining characteristics.Swift Navigation will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of SFPC Art.49