Location: In Office (San Mateo, CA) – This role requires in office work 4-5 days/week
GoPro requires all onsite visitors and workers to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. An exception to this rule may be made if you qualify for an approved accommodation.
GoPro makes it easy for people to celebrate and share experiences. We believe life is more meaningful when shared. We build cameras, software, and accessories that help the world share itself in immersive and exciting ways.
GoPro is a global movement whose business is driven by shared experiences. We celebrate diversity. We practice inclusion. We foster belonging. We demand equity. And we share the experiences of individuals and communities who also hold these values as core to who they are. From Bucharest to Munich, Silicon Valley to Shenzhen, we are dedicated to building a company that reflects and honors the diverse global communities where we live, work, and play.
GoPro is seeking a top tier candidate for the role of Staff Optical Test Engineer. The position will be responsible for testing optical systems at component and camera level, managing optical lab equipment, establishing new test methodologies and improving existing test solutions. The Optical Test Engineer will work closely with Optical Engineers to execute defined test plans, provide data analysis of experiment outcomes and define test processes. The ideal candidate will have knowledge and experience in lens and optical system testing and test system definition in development environments.
What You Will Do
- Conduct optical performance tests and gather data for full spectrum of lens optical properties (MTF, FOV, relative illumination, chief ray angle, field curvature, stray light, subjective image quality, etc.) based on defined test plans and test procedures
- Own optical testing: define new tests for improved analysis capability, and improve upon existing systems for optimization, ease of use, accuracy, etc.
- Set-up and operate a variety of optical test equipment; Troubleshoot testing systems for root cause in case of error
- Manage optical lab equipment including MTF test stations, stray light testing systems, and associated accessories
- Maintain technical data logs, test plans and spare parts inventories
- Manage and improve data management systems for optical test results
- Collaborate with Optical Engineers and related teams for test plan definition, scheduling, equipment improvements
- Develop and maintain scripts for operating equipment, processing data and running custom test systems (MATLAB, Python, etc.)
Skills We’re Excited About
- B.S. in technical field
- 5+ years experience in optical testing
- Strong ability to analyze test data, communicate results and collaborate for improvement plans
- Creativity to define and implement new test methodologies
- Experience programming in scripting languages (MATLAB, Python, etc.)
- Highly organized approach to problem solving with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), and MATLAB
- Self-starter with ability to self-manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Get your very own GoPro camera + gear
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees, 80% paid for dependents
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Generous time off policy
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for new parents
- Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) options
- Discounted employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- LiveHealthy monthly wellness reimbursement
- Innovative remote-friendly wellness classes and events
- Flexible work arrangements
- Professional + personal development opportunities, i.e. LinkedIn Learning
- Opportunities to get involved in the causes that you care about (annual camera donation + volunteer events)
We strive for the day that no group can be described as underrepresented at GoPro – whether as part of our brand or in our workforce. We are committed to providing a more inclusive, representative, equal, just and happy world. GoPro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.