Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Bready* to make a change?
Toast is scaling rapidly and with that growth comes exciting challenges in how we evolve our developer ecosystem to ensure the high efficiency of Toast engineers and external partners — while also providing a platform that is reliable and sustainable. This role will help define, design, build, and maintain technology to advance the state of developer effectiveness at Toast and provide a world-class experience to engineers across the business.
We’re building a developer-focused team and looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help design and implement solutions in this space.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
You will develop and maintain solutions that improve the productivity of engineers across Toast. Our tools today are largely command-line and service based, and we believe a good web-based front-end experience will be an important component of tooling going forward. You will support the general development of our tools and start the growth of web-based front-end tools. Overall, you will:
- Design, build and maintain tooling & infrastructure to make software development at Toast a delight
- Review code to ensure technical implementation meets functional requirements
- Mentor and guide your peers, while also learning from their diverse experiences
- Collect and analyze data to drive future decisions to improve developer productivity
- Partner with Toast infrastructure and platform teams to enable greater developer productivity.
- Partner with product teams to ensure designs that optimize developer efficiency and other infrastructure concerns such as scalability and reliability
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- Growth mindset with an emphasis on learning and self/team-improvement
- A bias towards action, with the ability to balance between getting things done and making things perfect
- Passion for making your peers more productive and efficient
- 5+ years of full stack (e.g., web front-end and back-end services) software engineering experience
What add-ins do you have*? (Nice to Haves)
- Experience with React and TypeScript
- Experience in developer tooling / developer productivity / infrastructure / developer platforms a plus but definitely not necessary
Our Spread* of Total Rewards:
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- 100% paid childbirth recovery medical leave
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave
- Eligibility for 100% paid medical or family leave
- Subsidized backup childcare
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Home office and telecommunications stipends
- Free access to Certified Financial Planners
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java/Kotlin and DropWizard, deployed using containers (Docker); we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. We store data in Postgres and DynamoDB. We are using Apache Pulsar to communicate between modules. The front-end is built primarily using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.