Swift Navigation is hiring. Let us introduce ourselves. Swift is building a safer and more efficient future by changing the way we navigate and understand every centimeter of our planet. Swift’s precise positioning technology platform improves location accuracy from several meters to centimeter-level and is used by millions of devices across the globe. Swift’s technology is trusted by users across industries, enabling safer driving, improving efficiency for last-mile delivery and commercial transport operations, increasing accuracy for mobile devices and creating new possibilities for rail, robotics and machine control. That’s what we offer our customers and partners, but it’s the work we do together as a team that is the best part of our days. We collaborate—across the globe—to tackle problems, to pursue our mission and to make a real impact in the world. We are diverse, flexible, supportive and we believe our team is our most important asset and offer a host of benefits and programs to ensure that they know it.
Now a little more about what you could be doing as part of our team and contributing to Swift’s mission and vision. As a Staff Software Engineer of our Edge Infrastructure you will be responsible for ensuring that Swift’s world-wide network of CORS (Continuously Operating Reference Stations) have the observability, manageability and reliability required to provide Swift’s Skylark Precise Positioning Service with crucial GNSS satellite observations. You will work closely with our global Network Ops, Software Engineering, Positioning and Service Operations Teams to design, implement and support solutions for Swift’s Edge Infrastructure.
- Design, develop and implement solutions that improve the manageability, security, and availability of Swift’s Edge Infrastructure. (e.g. developing a watchdog application for an on-board compute device to monitor, report/alert and execute self-healing operations to bring equipment back to a known state, etc)
- Turn high-touch manual processes into fully automated solutions, and maintain and improve existing automation tools and processes (e.g. equipment on-boarding and ingestion into the Skylark service, device configuration upgrades and feature changes, etc.). This involves working closely with factory team members and field technicians to think through the lifetime of components from the factory floor to installation to eventual replacement or removal.
- Design, build and maintain a proxy layer (cloud infrastructure and applications) between our GNSS Base Stations and the Skylark Precise Positioning Service
- Maintain/upgrade test equipment on-site in our San Francisco office and our Emeryville lab and work with the Network Team and Positioning Teams to design and conduct tests for green-lighting new equipment and configurations. (On-site commitment in the lab is very light and is generally an average of one day a month, as needed).
- Work closely with the Network Team and hardware suppliers to influence selection of hardware and to build libraries for interfacing with equipment used in our GNSS Base Stations.
- Administer vendor SAAS applications used for inventory tracking and device configuration.
- Ability to write high quality code in Python, Golang, or equivalent languages
- Command of programming/scripting languages, and the ability to create, debug, and optimize code and automate tasks
- Zero-to-one experience building web applications
- Highly proficient in Amazon Web Services
- Strong sense of ownership, drive and an obsessive attention to detail
- Strong communication and leadership skills, including the ability to plan and coordinate cross-team engineering efforts, communicate with vendors, and explain/document highly technical concepts to non-technical team members
- Willingness to be part of on-call rotations and mitigate issues
- Infrastructure as Code skills, ideally with Terraform
- Experience with basic electronics and/or IoT
- Familiarity with event-based architectures
- Experience with Serverless architectures using AWS Lambda and API Gateway
- Knowledge of AWS networking patterns using Route53, Transit Gateway, and Virtual Private Cloud.
- Familiarity with Salesforce APIs and SOQL queries
- Some experience with AWS, Kubernetes/Helm, Docker, React/JS, Python, Golang, C++, Prometheus/Grafana is a plus
Swift Navigation is a diverse and inclusive team. We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status or other defining characteristics.
Swift Navigation will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of SFPC Art.49