Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionising the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Bready* to make a change?
Our team is responsible for processing credit card payments on behalf of our restaurants. Our system is a set of Java Dropwizard services deployed to AWS, interacting with thousands of Android tablets using modern payments hardware, as well as with partners through our API. Payment processing is a key source of Toast’s revenue and also the lifeblood of our customers’ business: we process multiple millions of dollars in transactions every day. We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our team as we scale our systems to meet future demands.
About this roll*: (Responsibilities)
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain highly resilient and scalable systems that are critical to our customers’ success
- Lead complex projects that improve functionality and reliability for our customers
- Review code to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Mentor and coach other engineers
- Learn from our scaling problems, and implement solutions to those problems
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimisations
- Participate in a scheduled rotation of engineers on your team who respond to production alerts for the services you own
- Investigate and solve payment processing issues to improve the customer experience
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Highly proficient knowledge in a high-level programming language such as Java, Kotlin, Go etc. No problems if you have experience with other languages. Good engineers can adapt.
- Enjoys building well-engineered, usable and accessible systems
- Experience working in a team with Agile/Scrum methodology
- Have knowledge of and experience in building backend services/API’s
- You have a strong understanding of software engineering and distributed systems gained from hands-on experience building fault-tolerant and secure applications.
- You have experience working with product teams to invent solutions that deliver good outcomes to our customer and the company
- You demonstrate humility, empathy and respectfulness
Our Tech Stack
Our products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, canary deployments, and robust load balancing. We store data in a set of shared Postgres databases and utilize Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The web front-end is built using Angular and ES6. Our main point of sale application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform, we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.