Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Are you bready* for a change?
Toast is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to build new FinTech capabilities. As well as providing a cutting edge point of sale system for restaurants, Toast also processes billions of dollars of payments, and offers best-in-class financial services solutions to our customers. As we build new solutions to meet the needs of our customers, we need to build systems that are both increasingly extensible, robust, scalable and deliverable continuously. We need your help to improve our platform and add the next generation of products.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
As a Staff Software Engineer on our team, you will:
- Lead the design of critical features of a new innovative settlements platform that will optimise restaurants credit card payouts, seamlessly processing of millions of financial transactions daily
- Develop an expert understanding of Toast’s payments processing platform to seamlessly integrate the solution into related FinTech offerings, e.g. lending
- Lead every stage of platform build including, solution design, estimating, coding, code-reviewing, testing, debugging, configuring, integrating, documenting, and maintaining – high performance, flexible, and highly scalable services and integration pipelines that make up our Fintech offerings
- Collaborate with UX, PM, QA and Engineering to build best-in-class solutions in a complex and fast-moving environment
- Champion best practices such as quality integration and unit testing
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Experience with continuous delivery of high quality, reliable and scalable services to production
- Proficient in Java, Kotlin or other object oriented language(s)
- Experience working in a team with Agile/Scrum methodology
- Experience leading the build and scale of critical platform features
- Passionate about writing awesome code and delivering impactful scalable solutions
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].