Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. Because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Are you interested in using the latest technology to help our customers build amazing relationships with their guests? Do you get excited about building data driven marketing and demand generation platforms and services, and the endless possibilities that they open to help our customers thrive? You will be helping to create the next generation of engagement experiences, building features to empower restaurants to create meaningful interactions with their guests and utilizing rich guest datasets to help them grow.
About this roll*:
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain highly resilient and scalable systems that are critical to our customers’ success
- Build APIs for easily accessing our data internally and externally
- Create a One Team environment where everyone feels included and like they are helping shape the future of Toast and its technology.
- Ensure your team is enabled to achieve high levels of productivity and are Driven with Purpose to our roadmap
- Contribute to all the moving parts of creating great software that our customers love by collaborating with product teams, other engineering teams and our UX/Design team.
- Lead with humility and teach, mentor, coach and be a role model for engineers that you will be working with.
- Shape and evolve our engineering culture by contributing to our engineering organisation programs and raise the bar for technical standards, performance, reliability, and operational excellence.
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- You possess a growth mindset and eagerness to learn.
- You have experience shipping critical production services
- You have extensive experience writing Java or another object-oriented language, with a deep understanding of testing, quality, and best practices
- You have extensive experience with distributed systems, scaling challenges, SaaS, SQL, JS, & Pulsar are a plus.
- Please note that the Staff Engineer role sits between Senior Engineer & Principal Engineer in our career ladder so it is a Technical Leadership position
What we use to make our dish: (Our Tech Stack)
- A core of Java & Kotlin based backend services.
- React SPAs leveraging Tailwind, GraphQL and Storybook.
- Android app built in Java & Kotlin running in the restaurant.
- PostgresQL and Dynamodb as core persistence.
- Pulsar, Camel and RabbitMQ for message-based integrations.
- And many more technologies that help us build a top class platform.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Peer and company recognition programs
- Pension plan
- Health insurance family plan
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter benefits, bike to work
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.