Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Bready* to make a change? (Overview)
Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity of background and experience.
The Digital Ordering branch of Toast builds consumer-facing web and native mobile products that reach millions of restaurant guests every day. We are seeking a Staff Engineer to help us shape the future of restaurant experiences and setting the bar for the industry. We need impact-driven, product-thinking engineers to build experiences that exceed expectations and challenge the status quo.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Operate as a leader and technical conscious of a small team of engineers
- Work with fellow engineers, product managers, designers, and user researchers to build amazing web and mobile features, applications, and services
- Flex your full-stack muscles with challenging end-to-end tasks in a supportive, collaborative team environment
- Mentor engineers through code-pairing and detailed code reviews
- Ship code that has a massive impact on the growth of Toast
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Deep experience building back-end services with Kotlin and APIs
- Experience building web applications
- Strong leadership, communication, and collaboration skills
- Firm understanding of client-server communication and can apply different access patterns to solve problems
- You know how to monitor, troubleshoot, and improve system performance through logging and metrics
- You’re hungry to learn more and willing to take on challenging projects if it means you’ll be a better engineer at the end
- You know how to express humility and are an empathetic co-worker
Special Sauce: (non-essential skills, nice to have)
- You’ve got a curiosity to dive deep into guest experiences, understand and optimize every aspect of the interactions between restaurants and guests, and inform roadmaps based on your insights
- You’ve worked with experimentation frameworks (often referred to as A/B experiments) and understand the value of using metrics to drive product direction
More on our tech stack:
Our mobile products run on iOS and Android, backend services in Java, and Kotlin. The web front-end runs on React. Our backend services follow a BFF architecture with GraphQL; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations, and robust load balancing.
Our Spread* of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.