Toast is scaling rapidly, and with that growth comes exciting opportunities to evolve a developer ecosystem which enables Toast engineers and external partners to continue to deliver excellent products on top of a reliable and sustainable platform. This role will help define, design, build, and maintain software solutions which advance developer effectiveness at Toast and provide a world-class experience to engineers across the business.
We’re growing a developer-focused team and looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help design and implement solutions in this space.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
You will seek to understand the most important developer workflows at Toast, and collaborate across the engineering organization to build technical solutions which enable Toast’s engineers to rapidly deliver excellent products. Your peers are your customers, and you will constantly make their day-to-day workflows better. You will develop and maintain tools, processes, and applications that improve the productivity of engineers across Toast. These solutions may range from command-line scripts to interactive web applications, and everything in-between.
Overall, you will:
- Design, build and maintain tooling & infrastructure to make software development at Toast a delight
- Connect with product teams to ensure that our team builds solutions which support their most important development workflows
- Identify new opportunities for our team to create frictionless development workflows
- Review code to ensure technical implementation meets functional requirements
- Mentor and guide your peers, while also learning from their diverse experiences
- Collect and interpret data to drive work to improve developer productivity
- Partner with Toast infrastructure and platform teams to enable greater developer productivity
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- You have 8+ years of software engineering experience in object-oriented languages (backend or full-stack)
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- You have a passion for making your peers more productive and efficient
- You have a growth mindset with an emphasis on learning and self/team-improvement
- You have a bias towards action, with the ability to balance between getting things done and making things perfect
- You enjoy collaborating with other engineers to produce great engineering outcomes
What add-ins do you have*? (Nice to Haves)
- Experience building tools / infrastructure targeted at other engineers
- Experience with with development technologies like Gradle, Docker, Jenkins, AWS
- Experience with React and TypeScript
Our Spread* of Total Rewards:
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- 100% paid childbirth recovery medical leave
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave
- Eligibility for 100% paid medical or family leave
- Subsidized backup childcare
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Home office and telecommunications stipends
- Free access to Certified Financial Planners
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].