Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Every day, many thousands of servers, hosts, and chefs use Toast POS (Point of Sale) to serve millions of guests in their restaurants. To make our restaurants successful, we need to develop products that install painlessly, work together seamlessly, and quickly guide restaurant staff and Toast team members to resolve any problems that occur.
The Android Systems team sits at the intersection of Toast’s hardware and software, and builds both cloud based services and Android applications that create a frictionless experience for customers. Starting from the first time a device is provisioned until its end-of-life, the team takes a system-oriented approach crafting solutions that take software, hardware, user experience, people and processes into account to provide the best results for our users.
We are seeking a Tech Lead Manager who will manage a small team of great Engineers on the Android Systems team. The candidate will pave the path for the team to build modern technical solutions keeping customer empathy in mind. If you are a leader who collaborates well with teams within the organization, can think big, and are passionate about building software systems used to manage hardware devices with a high focus on quality, this position is for you!
The Tech Lead Manager role involves both people management and technical leadership, and gives you the flexibility to pick the career track of your choice in the future.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Lead and manage a team of 3-6 software engineers to deliver results at a high level of quality.
- Guide the growth & development of engineers with mentoring, training and performance management
- Create the operational plan for the team, and drive to execute towards a common goal.
- Work with our Technical Design Lead and Hardware Product Managers to define and scope Toast’s Android based device management solution.
- Make hands-on code contributions to your team’s projects (30% of your time).
- Lead effort estimation sessions and use sound judgment to enable planning of projects.
- Help set the standard for software quality by adopting modern software test frameworks and practices for the team.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 5 years of software development experience, which includes at least 2 years technical leadership experience in the Android domain.
- Prior experience as a tech lead or team lead.
- Excellent cross-team communication skills on complex technical topics
- Empathy for users, both internal (other Toast teams) and external (our restaurants)
- Proficient in a modern object-oriented programming language such as Java or Kotlin.
- Experience developing Android applications.
- Experience designing and developing software to manage and support hardware devices.
- Focused on delivering positive impact for Toast customers
- Fosters a continuous learning environment within the team.
- Passionate about solving large scale problems and building great software for customers.
Bonus ingredients* (preferred skills)
- Prior people and performance management experience.
- Experience developing microservices in a cloud environment in Java or Kotlin.
- Familiarity with Mobile Device Management (MDM) systems on Android.
- Experience developing or configuring and using firmware upgrades systems.
- Experience with monitoring tools to debug and resolve tough customer issues.
More on our tech stack:
Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java and Kotlin on DropWizard while the front end is React; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service elevations and robust load balancing. We store data in PostgreSQL databases or DynamoDB tables depending on use case, and utilize Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. Apache Pulsar and Camel are used extensively in our integration transaction workflow processing.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.